The Fiber Laboratory offers consulting services and provides easy and direct access to concepts, prototypes and know-how for the benefit of Swiss SMEs helping them to become internationally more competitive.
Fiber Lab services include:
- Conception and simulation of novel active or passive fibers and waveguides
- Realization and drawing of active and passive fiber prototypes
- Interfacing fibers and waveguides to systems
- Conception and prototyping of fiber and waveguide sensing devices
- Transferring know-how to industry by workshops, ad hoc initiatives and joint research projects
Through the close cooperation of several institutes we are able to provide services that require specialized expertise or equipment, which extends beyond the scope of a single institution. Use of unique and expensive equipment and installations (e.g. the fiber drawing tower at Berne University for making customized fibers) are shared amongst the partners.
Technical applications of optical fibers are often not obvious. Insofar, SMEs have difficulties to even identify potential uses. The Fiber Lab helps closing this knowledge gap for the Swiss SMEs in order to increase their international competitiveness.